START SOMETHING THAT MATTERS
My wife shared information about a book: Start Something That Matters by Blake Mycoskie. This evening I only read a 25 page excerpt from the book and found it so very inspiring, from both a personal and business perspective, that I just ordered it from Amazon.
The following is a short excerpt: When you have a story that’s larger and more interesting than your product or service or you, other people and companies will want to incorporate your story into theirs to share in the halo effect.
As a short summary, the author founded a for-profit business and aligned it with his passion to help the less fortunate. He shared the following as a way of finding your own passion:
Answer the following questions:
- If you did not have to worry about money what would you do with your time?
- What kind of work would you want to do?
- What cause would you serve?
Just as any other type of challenge, perhaps many of the people who answer the above questions will stop at the first one and say “nothing” or “travel”. It takes those few business owners or business start-ups who have a passion to succeed and a passion to help others because they are successful who will follow the example in this book.
I believe that those few who are driven are the 6 % of the businesses that survive and thrive while the other 94% will fail because they don’t believe in themselves or what they are doing. Perhaps these statistics can change if enough business owners stop and take an inward look at themselves and the needs of those around them.
For those of you who have been following my blogs or have attended my lectures know I am an advocate of giving first; that means unconditional giving and not expecting anything in return.
My Networking Methods class this coming Monday (November 20th at the Scottsdale Civic Center Library) will address the importance of the giving-first concept.
“PASSION IS ENERGY! Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.” Oprah Winfrey
Comments are closed