WRITE A BOOK!
Posted on November 13, 2019 at 9:24 am by Jen Kelly / Blogs, Daily Communications, Marketing
At a marketing session this morning I asked those in attendance “How many of you have written a book?” With a show of hands, less than 10% of the small business owners present had ever written a book.
Marketing is all about doing something different. If statistics are the same among other small business owners, then by writing a book you set yourself apart from the majority.
In my opinion, a book gives you authority, credibility and expertise. I believe that every small business owner has a book buried somewhere deep in his/her subconscious. Yes, a book has to have good content and has to present a value to the reader. There is support available from professionals that can help you get your book ready for publication.
The good news is that books are inexpensive to print and can be printed on demand. In my case I self-published a book and was able to purchase them in lots of 100 at a cost of less than $5 each. A book is a much more effective give-away than an imprinted novelty item. While a book can become a best seller and make you rich, I suggest that this book should be about marketing your business and not becoming a rich author.
A few ideas on how your book can best be used:
- Use it in a sales presentation and leave a copy with your prospects.
- Have a “book launching” party which can be done multiple times and for each party invite your friends, customers, and referral sources and prospects.
- Use your pitch deck as a possible outline; it will help sell your product or service.
- Use it to get speaking engagements.
- Market yourself as an author in all your marketing media.
- Provides an opportunity to become a teacher at a workshop.
A book with 80 to 100 pages is all that is needed. Adding a few graphics and pictures will also help reduce the total amount of writing required. Hire a good full service design/content firm to help with the title and cover. I have seen books completed, from the date writing started until the actual book was printed, in less than 70 days.
One other thing I forgot to mention, you will gain pride and self-confidence once the book is in your hand.
Tips & Advice by Nick Petra, CFP – Founder of Strategic Duck and BizQuack
Comments are closed